Re: Into the Frying Pan

Subject: Re: Into the Frying Pan
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:20:38 +0000 (UTC)

You need to get the hell out of Dodge City before someone comes "gunnin'" for you.
Face it, nobody besides you either really cares or has the smarts to do the right thing or things where you are currently located.
I believe it's safe to say that those of us with a long work history probably have our own one or more hell-environments that made us a bit stronger (and surely gave us lots to talk about at the next place). So you're not alone. Small consolation, though.

But in the end, this IS messing up your emotional health (and don't deny it), and if you remain where you can't fix anything about it, the stress will soon work on your physical health and psychological well-being. One former employee at my company (in the purchasing department and who knew far and away more than his arrogant and manipulative Asian manager) was told by his own doctor to either leave or expect a heart attack within a year. He left, found a job with a similar company and is now much happier.

It's easy for certain readers here to say, "Just ignore it, buck up and and take it." THEY don't have your physical, emotional and psychological make-up. Everybody has a breaking point, and based on how you're now feeling like General Custer at Little Big Horn, you're about to reach yours.

-- Ken in Atlanta

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:37 AM, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net> wrote:

Manager is behaving badly because she is WAY over her head on this one.Â
She's like your virtual-memory system that has mostly run out of realÂ
memory and puts all effort into swapping pieces in and out, in what isÂ
called "thrashing."

She needs your help far more than she can imagine. If you can step out ofÂ
the stuff already piled around you (up to your neck it seems)
 for just a moment, you might be able to rescue her. She needs YOU (orÂ
someone at least as wise) to team up with her, grab hold, and steerÂ
things. If your judgment is that it's all way too toxic, and that heroicÂ
deeds will merely attract punishment even more severe, then get out.Â
"Leaps from tall buildings in a single bound."

Ineptness of recruiter is a side issue. Many of them are inept. Maybe lookÂ
up Nick Corcodilos (asktheheadhunter.com) and follow his advice?

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 05:14:06 -0400, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>Â
wrote:

> Thanks to all. I'm back after a long weekend away, only to discover that
> things are even worse than when I left.
>
> Our pubs. mgr. was close to inciting an all-out mutiny yesterday as she
> informed us that even more is now on our plate without even so much as a
> single SOP to follow.
>
> Unfortunately, the same recruiter that placed the pubs mgr. also placedÂ
> me.
> Said recruiter is also very new to the game, so I find myself in aÂ
> pickle.
> I was supposed to meet with her for lunch yesterday, but anotherÂ
> "emergency
> pubs meeting" precluded that. All the while, I was wondering what I'dÂ
> even
> talk to her about; I don't feel that I can ask her to find me a different
> position, right?
>
> In hindsight, I knew that this req. smelled the first time it wasÂ
> presented
> to me, but when the recruiter came back around a second time with aÂ
> higher
> rate that matches what I can make freelancing (where my billable hours
> aren't as numerous), I bit. At this point I'm thinking of calling it aÂ
> day,
> returning to my freelance career and building out my client base. I can
> afford to do this.
>
> What would you consider doing?

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net -dot-

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives