Re: Into the Frying Pan

Subject: Re: Into the Frying Pan
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 05:37:10 -0400

Manager is behaving badly because she is WAY over her head on this one. She's like your virtual-memory system that has mostly run out of real memory and puts all effort into swapping pieces in and out, in what is called "thrashing."

She needs your help far more than she can imagine. If you can step out of the stuff already piled around you (up to your neck it seems)
for just a moment, you might be able to rescue her. She needs YOU (or someone at least as wise) to team up with her, grab hold, and steer things. If your judgment is that it's all way too toxic, and that heroic deeds will merely attract punishment even more severe, then get out. "Leaps from tall buildings in a single bound."

Ineptness of recruiter is a side issue. Many of them are inept. Maybe look up Nick Corcodilos (asktheheadhunter.com) and follow his advice?

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 05:14:06 -0400, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Thanks to all. I'm back after a long weekend away, only to discover that
things are even worse than when I left.

Our pubs. mgr. was close to inciting an all-out mutiny yesterday as she
informed us that even more is now on our plate without even so much as a
single SOP to follow.

Unfortunately, the same recruiter that placed the pubs mgr. also placed me.
Said recruiter is also very new to the game, so I find myself in a pickle.
I was supposed to meet with her for lunch yesterday, but another "emergency
pubs meeting" precluded that. All the while, I was wondering what I'd even
talk to her about; I don't feel that I can ask her to find me a different
position, right?

In hindsight, I knew that this req. smelled the first time it was presented
to me, but when the recruiter came back around a second time with a higher
rate that matches what I can make freelancing (where my billable hours
aren't as numerous), I bit. At this point I'm thinking of calling it a day,
returning to my freelance career and building out my client base. I can
afford to do this.

What would you consider doing?