Re: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended

Subject: Re: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 05:49:36 -0400

Indeed. One day I was running pony rides at a flea market and a ten-year-old boy announced to me, "I know how to ride a horse. I saw it on television."

Sorry, Buster, that won't work any better than knowing long division because you watched your dad doing your homework.

Ginger's "person who is supposed to oversee training" is looking for an easy solution to a difficult problem. If stuck with having to provide video as the sole medium, the tech writer should push for testing that reveals the effectiveness of the training. What kind of tests? Well, how about multiple-choice, to be done as a whole-class team exercise? It's simple to administer, and will certainly provide the best scores, thus validating the use of video!

Cynicman strikes again!

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 05:20:15 -0400, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com> wrote:

I agree that video only is not enough because each person learns differently and for all the good reasons already mentioned. If possible, throw some hands-on training into the blend, most people learn better by doing, after they grasped the concept by watching the video.
Erika