RE: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"

Subject: RE: "Surviving the Dying Career of Technical Writing"
From: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:02:23 +0200

An opinion from, well, Romania :) The situation at the moment is similar to
the 90s in the US, from what I can tell - the technical writing industry is
only now starting to develop and we can not afford to be picky. (I
personally prefer to hire people who have some writing experience rather
than people who know the industry, because I've found it's easier to teach
about the field than teach writing skills. Some companies focus more on
technical knowledge.) My company hires junior writers 99% of time and
basically trains them on the job (which is how I got into technical writing
as well).

As for the size of the industry, I searched LinkedIn a couple of months ago
and I found less than 100 technical writers in Romania in about 50
companies, with the bulk of them in Bucharest. Obviously not everyone is on
LinkedIn, but this can give you an idea. 6 years ago, I think we were just
a couple dozen. A Romanian technical writer with more than 1 year of
experience *will* get headhunted on LinkedIn on a regular basis, so it's a
very good time to get into this profession. Even the mediocre ones are able
to make an above-average living.

And India is not outsourcing here, we are basically competitors. Though I
do have to say that I've seen several teams dissolved in the US/Western
Europe and moved to Romania...

Jen