Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?

Subject: Re: Resistance to allowing anonymous web access to online help?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:00:39 -0700

When we're talking about API references, programmer's guides, admin
guides, and installation guides, generally people who don't read the
docs can't use the product. That that's true even when the docs are
Google-able.

I think clueless users Googling for answers to simple questions is
becoming less common as companies that sell to that market focus more
on making their products more self-explanatory and idiot-proof, and
integrating active assistance into the UI to the point that users will
not go to third-party sites.