RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)

Subject: RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Kathleen MacDowell'" <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 07:47:26 -0400

Kathleen,

That might work in some circumstances, but there are a couple of problems with it.

First, the longer a document becomes, the less often it is read. The longer document increases the chances the reader will abandon the document or abandon the task. A document should be as long as it needs to get the job done for the typical user, but not longer. Putting in stuff for the atypical user increases its length for all users.

Second, there is a limit to how far you can take this strategy. If there are only a few things to inline, you can get away with it. If there are many, you will blow up the document beyond all reason.

Third, the relationships described by links are not as simple as the ones that can be resolved by including material inline. This comes back to document thinking again, rather than information set thinking. Links allow readers to move through an information set in a way that could never be generalized by a static sequencing of elements.

Of course, some information is much more bounded than others. Robertâs examples highlight how unbounded information can be for some products. Other information can be much more bounded. But at the same time one of the effects of the Curse of Knowledge (to which we are all subject to one extent or another) is that it makes us think the information we are recording is much more bounded than it really is. Links are not just for the cases we have thought of, but for the cases we have not thought of.

Certainly some documents are legitimately highly bounded. (A pilotâs pre-flight checklist springs to mind.) But for the most part such what ensures that they are tightly bound is not the subject matter but what we can know with assurance about the reader. (The pilotâs checklist is written for a trained pilot who has qualified on the aircraft in question. The subject matter is not bounded; the reader is.)

Mark