RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)

Subject: RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'TechWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 07:48:27 -0400

Different levels of user are actually one of the key reasons to use links. Document-based thinking says that the user is at a given level and that the entire document must be pitched to a person at that level. And since, as you say, it is seldom possible to create separate documents for each of the levels you encounter, some form of compromise is required. But whatever form of compromise it is, the result is a document that is longer than it need be for the expert and shorter than it need be for the novice, and more complex to navigate for both.

But with a hypertext system you shouldnât think of the audience as being at a particular level. Rather, you think of them as being in the process of changing levels. Each topic they read in a hypertext allows them to change their level. If they arrive at a topic that is at a level they are not ready for, links in that topic from its key actions and ideas to topics on those actions and ideas, allow the reader to change to an appropriate level, which then allows them to raise their level to where they need it to be.

The resulting information set is not a compromise between the needs of people at different levels. It is a place in which readers can find their level and then raise themselves to the desired level by an appropriate traversal of the information set.

What is important about this is not just that the information set is not a compromise, but also that is does not artificially constrict user levels to artificial an largely meaningless labels like novice, intermediate, and expert. Each personâs level is a function of that they know and understand and that is different for everyone. A well designed hypertext information set allows each user to find their own level based on what they know and what they need to learn, and to proceed from there along the course that makes sense for them (and perhaps no on else).

If we stick to document-based thinking, we will struggle to understand the role of links. When we switch to hypertext thinking, the role and value of links becomes obvious. The need to pitch an information set at different levels of users is actually on of the places where the virtue of hypertext thinking is most apparent.

Mark