Re: It doesn't look good for Tina the Tech Writer

Subject: Re: It doesn't look good for Tina the Tech Writer
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:33:15 -0700

Ken,

On Thursday, 6 October 2016, Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net> wrote:

> I'd GLADLY move into full-time software tech writing because that's where
> it seems the jobs are, at least on Indeed.com. I'm the guy who started a
> "spirited" discussion some weeks ago about possible plans to leave here and
> go the contract route ... at some point, I need to make a change.

The best advice I can give you is to join the Write The Docs discussion on
slack and read read read. Many of these people, especially in the sphinx
and markup-the-docs channels, do some pretty amazing stuff with
documentation outputs that require plus-and tech writing skills to
accomplish.

But even with the progress made in content authoring and content output,
the basics of telling a good story in a progressive way, as a book or
not-book, still requires the content planning, information management, and
structured writing skills used in other industries. And document planning
takes on a whole new meaning when you produce for multiple channels.

http://slack.writethedocs.org/

What I'd like to bring from that group into this group is a sense of hope
and accomplishment. Lately we seem to be beating ourselves up a lot in
have so much to offer, and there are so many directions to take our
careers.

-Tony