Re: Documentation behind a login

Subject: Re: Documentation behind a login
From: Helen Mullally <helen -dot- mullally -at- alfresco -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:02:54 +0000

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting hearing your views.

I totally understand the point about doing what we're asked, either from the business in general, or specifically, Product Management. We are providing the best for our customers but it is also about what is right for the business.

We are not likely to put all of the content behind a login, but possibly some additional information that is for enhanced features of the product. So, the idea is that it becomes an up-sell tool.

I have heard people express concern about the reverse engineering of software from documentation but I work in an open source company, so we have never restricted the distribution of the documentation. On the contrary, we have always had a principle of free and open documentation too.

Is a really good point about the searchability of the docs via Google though. There is a risk of losing customers/prospects because they cannot use the standard search mechanisms. There is a strong likelihood that competitors will "fill in the gaps" that we have not made public. This is a very powerful argument against using login.

This is all very useful discussion material for when I meet up with the Product Manager. Thank you to everyone.

Cheers

Helen