Re: Best Modern Alternative to CHM?

Subject: Re: Best Modern Alternative to CHM?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:59:21 -0700

MS HTML Help has been improved upon in countless ways. Some newer help
systems are much faster, particularly at searching. They're far more
customizable and extensible.

A .chm is not self-contained. The illusion that it is results from the
required viewer being bundled with Windows.

A .chm is composed of many individual files. They're just packaged as
a single file, similar to the way they would be a .zip archive. That's
why you can decompile the source from a .chm.

Whatever Microsoft's motives for doing that in 1997, there's currently
no good reason to distribute help as a separate package. Instead it's
packaged with the installer and the individual files are extracted on
installation. That makes no difference to the user experience except
maybe it's a bit faster since the files don't have to be extracted.