RE: What do you call the Three Dots?

Subject: RE: What do you call the Three Dots?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "'TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 20:22:07 +0000

I thought contemporary style said you don't refer to interface objects at all.

In some contexts I've seen it used as "browse for the file you want," suggesting that the button opens a file browser.

I can't see the interface but I would try to focus on the action you want the user to do.


On Monday, October 16, 2017 8:27 AM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

I used to call the three dots element the Ellipsis Button.

However, I see other technical and UX writers are calling this element the More Button.

How say you?

Craig Cardimon
Senior Technical Writer

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


What do you call the Three Dots?: From: Cardimon, Craig

Previous by Author: RE: Dealing with price resistance?
Next by Author: RE: What do you call the Three Dots?
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?
Next by Thread: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads