Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:53:19 -0400

I'd allow her to use the Fences tool (with the icons on her desktop pointing to the files in the directory you establish. That's (presumably) easy. But I'd be alert to other problems that may come up.

One obvious one is proper use of MS Word formatting. She should (of course) pick up the proper "styles" approach that most of us know and use.

Also, you want to make sure that she does not side-step your already-existing backup and versioning systems. It is a bad idea for writers to keep their "real" up-to-date version as a separate file outside the server framework that manages versioning, if you have one, but I have known writers (reluctantly waves own hand) who have felt that such a practice might somehow be a good idea.

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:34:03 -0400, Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
*Trouble ahead, trouble behind,*
*And you know this notion...just crossed my mind.*

Greg's points are critical here. If a compromise can be struck in relation
to where the actual files are stored, great.

If not, then I might be inclined to use the SysAdmin as the bad cop,
asserting that Fences only serves as another layer of user insulation that
runs counter to accepted system and file backup procedures.

I'll be revisiting this, probably later today. I will go for the combo
deal of letting her use Fences for shortcuts to files, but make the
files themselves live in a structure that I will create for her, just
to get it done.

Yours is a Windows environment. If the new hire doesn't care to fully
understand the OS and its file structure, then I'd question her ability to
be adaptive to the established ways of the company.

I worked at several places in the past where one was simply NOT permitted
to introduce software to one's own system, period. Other places were a bit
more lenient, but I'd need to first seek permission to use such things as
favored utilities the company did not yet know about (but enhanced
productivity).

I don't know if it was approved or not. I don't care much about that, frankly.

I don't know what the nOOb will be documenting, but this entire thread
would give me pause regarding whether or not she's an appropriate fit.

There are certainly questions along those lines, however, the subject
matter of the medical device instructions being worked on is not
something foreign to this person, so that is a point in her favor, to
some extent.

I may be a bit hard-nosed about this, but it's already sounding problematic
when the easiest solution is to learn the file system. In this regard, what
is so bloody complicated about understanding folders and subfolders,
drawers and cabinets when related to such physical items in the paper-based
world?

Frankly, I was baffled to get pushback on that. Last thing I expected.