RE: Odd/Even formatting

Subject: RE: Odd/Even formatting
From: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>
To: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 20:43:37 +0000

I am sometimes a user of PDF documents. Here's my take, as a user and as an advocate for other users.

Numbering: apparently printer drivers vary. I have printed a range, and then found out it was the wrong range, because the document had different numbering for front matter. OK, learn your lesson. Next time I altered the range to accommodate of the front matter. Then it printed out the range based on the numbers in the body. Have that happen a couple of times and you might do what we did and get rid of numbering the front matter separately.

Odd/even pages: I know about empty pages at the end of a chapter, so I just keep scrolling. But I've seen others stop, wonder what was up, ask why whoever did this skipped a page. Some kind of mistake, right? I tell them it's because of the end of a chapter and it's on an odd page. The new chapter is supposed to start on an odd page, so we skip one. Their response: Why?

Odd/even pages: A bulleted list jogs over at the end of a page. Is that a list level two, one, or three? I've had people ask why it is jumping back and forth. Well, you see, I explain, that's for printing and binding. Oh? Field reports are that when people print, they mostly print one-sided.

Our standard is still to use odd/even, because we still provide printed and bound copies to a few customers on special request. It's becoming rarer now that we charge extra for the printing. I would make the point that the rare cases of printing are not worth the annoyance of the odd/even layout. If you need to print occasionally, then center the text column and increase your margins so there's room either way. You decrease your column width as a bonus.

Speaking of column width. If I'm reading a printed manual, I like two columns. If I get a PDF with two columns, I despise it. Scroll down, scroll back up, scroll down. It's a pain. I hope no one provides two-column PDFs unless it is strictly for printing.

My 2p. tims