Re: Note styles

Subject: Re: Note styles
From: "Sweet, Gregory P (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:32:33 +0000

Since no one else has brought it up, usability and accessibility are a concern here. The nature of the message can only be visually obvious to those that can receive and interpret your visual representations. I know there are modes of publication that cannot accommodate accessibility, but the OP noted that the output is electronic, and therefore capable of being accessible.

Thanks!

Greg

From: <techwr-l-bounces+gregory -dot- sweet=health -dot- ny -dot- gov -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> on behalf of Sion Lane <sion -dot- lane -at- unit4 -dot- com>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: Note styles

We currently use appropriate icons, indentation and a different background to indicate notes, tips and warnings in our help topics and pdf content. A proposal has been made that we also use autonumbering to add the word 'Note' 'Tip' etc.

I feel this is overkill, the icon in conjunction with the background colour act as a visual representation of that word so to add the word as well makes it almost tautological. The nature of the message should also be obvious from the text itself. I should add that we do not currently have an 'About this Help' topic that explains the icons and there is no desire to add one.

What are other people's opinions?

Am I crazy to be so bothered about this?

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com