Re: Punctuation question

Subject: Re: Punctuation question
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <hutschi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Lin Laurie <linlaurie1 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, debora ames <deboraames -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "tammyvb -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com" <tammyvb -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- Kronos -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:02:29 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,maybe I'm too much influenced by German. I worked for 20 years as technical writer, so I try at first to answer the question:
1.   The information is displayed across five tabs, which, from left toÂright, are the following: Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, and Details.

2.   The information is displayed across five tabs, which from left toÂright, are the following: Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, and Details.

3.   The information is displayed across five tabs, which from left toÂright are the following: Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, and Details.
I read some books about English punctuation.Considering this and the structure of the sentence, So I prefer 3. then 2. and as last one 1.
Too many punctuation marks do not help English readers. At the beginning of the twentieth century I'd have chosen 1. as best.
But I agree to the others:Avoid information which is not necessary. In our first documents we worte similar detailed as you.Later we changed the style. We provided a screen photo, so it was not necessary to write "from left to right". And from left to right is kind of standard, so you can omit this information. If the user can change the sequence of tabs, you should write it somewhere.
So I'd wite in the second approximation:
3.   The information is displayed across the five tabs: Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, and Details.

(active): The system displays five tabs: ...
But: You cannot see als tabs at once.
So it goes along:
To display the detailed information, click one of the Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, or Details tab.
There are more possibilities for wording.Â

The rule: Write as much as necessary and as few as possible without loosing essential things.
Best regardsBernd
...Â
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com