Re: "Technical Writers are Vital for Technology Startups"

Subject: Re: "Technical Writers are Vital for Technology Startups"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 13:43:47 -0700

That one got under my skin right away, too. It is so generic and wrong. It could be true for the new century mentality that "it's easy to read so anyone can write it, so let's all be technical writers." This is wrong.

Technical writing was not popular decades ago and it was not exclusively writing for technology. People who became technical writers often began as subject matter experts who documented what they knew how to do. The writer of that article says she has been a technical writer for 5 years. I doubt that puts in the area of expert for technical writing.

Sentences jump out at me for being wrong. I am not critical of people when they are being informal, are not writers, or are new to writing, unless they are in the act of presenting them self as an expert. So this sentence, "Most companies who hire writers have writing samples and testimonials of other companies that use these sites" makes me ask, "why would a company need a writing sample of a company that used the site?"

On 7/3/2019 1:47 PM, Lin Sims wrote:

I have to disagree with the following definition:

"Technical writers are one of two types of professionals. A) An Enterprise,
Full Stack Developer, or Systems Analyst that transitioned into a technical
writer. B) A journalism or communications professional that decided to
pursue a writing career in technology."

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com