Re: Writing for translation: since/because, over/more than

Subject: Re: Writing for translation: since/because, over/more than
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 17:36:14 -0800

It is a good idea when writing for translation to avoid words with multiple meanings. For example, "over" can mean more, preferred, or above. Even above can have multiple meanings. Comparisons are also best avoided because a correct translation of words may not be a correct translation of context.

In some sentences, because and since may be interchangeable in usage but their context is different. Since refers to time and because refers to cause. If something occurs after something else, either word will work in the general sense but further discussion may require clarity to establish why one thing occurs after the other. This context may get lost in the translation. Therefore, rather than focus on the correct word, look to the correct context for using a particular word.

Many years ago, I was taught a rule of thumb for translations that I like to use for general word choice. When choosing the right word, choose the word with the fewest syllables. I find this rule useful but not a substitute for clarity of context.

On 11/23/2019 8:35 AM, Geoff Mann wrote:

An obvious best practice is to avoid using the same word to mean two
different things. I'm of the (old?) school that says terms like since and
because are not interchangeable. The same goes for over and more than.
However, since and over are becoming ubiquitous in mainstream content.
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com