Re: Interested in input from managers and individual contributors on hiring newbies

Subject: Re: Interested in input from managers and individual contributors on hiring newbies
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:29:00 -0400

I didn't set out to be a technical writer (who did back in the day?), but
subsequently learned I *was *one after a few projects.

I began by writing pro bono pieces for a local Chamber of Commerce
newsletter that was always eager to receive any content of some potential
value to its business readers. I wrote about choosing a computer
consultant, followed by a second two-part series about protecting one's
computer investment. So now I had the beginnings of a portfolio.

Next, I replied to an ad in the back of a trade magazine that sought
product reviewers. Again, such publications are eager for good copy they
can obtain for a decent price. After a few issues of supplying writeups it
could publish verbatim (which any managing editor *loves*), I then pitched
a cover story and got that assignment.

I was a MS-DOS and Windows beta tester who posted a LOT on the member-only
MS forum on CompuServe. My activity got Microsoft's attention, such that I
was selected along with a few others to do a pro bono technical edit of
Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 5â6 user manuals. Meanwhile, I was writing paid
feature stories for *The Windows Shoppers Guide*, a periodical I had
directly solicited.

One a day a so-so Windows tips newsletter arrived in the mail. I wrote its
publisher and let him know how I might improve it. Soon I was the managing
editor of *The Graunke Report ~ Windows Tips & Secrets*, which ultimately
ran 16-pp. in color each month and had a paid circulation of 22.000. I was
its researcher, writer, layout person, graphics person, and commercial
printer liaison. After leaving that company I pitched The Cobb Group and
was quickly invited to write feature pieces for a number of its monthly
software newsletters. And I got a Windows NT 4.0 cover story assignment for
Ziff-Davis's *Windows Sources*, for which I was also a short-lived tips
columnist (the title folded soon thereafter).

In 2001, posting a *lot *on a Yahoo chatroom created for my HS graduating
class soon got me an offer from a small HP team in Roseville, CA (although
we didn't know each other back when, I had graduated with its manager).
Writing two dozen docs each month in HTML was good for about 4-1/2 years.

Today it's all about LinkedIn and the three Ps â Profile, Participation,
and Perseverance/Patience. It takes all three to make it pay off, which it
has done in spades these past few years once I got serious about using it.

With the exception of one one-year gig as a marcom director at a
software/services company, I've never had success answering job ads. My
resume is too diverse to pass muster with any ATS, so why bother? Either
I've used guerrilla marketing to go to the head of the class, or interested
parties find me.

(Insiders writing job reqs rarely know how to correctly address what it is
the company really seeks. Such specs get passed to recruiters, too many of
whom are simply chair warmers who haven't an inkling how to be successful
at placing qualified people. To boot, too many still clutch onto resumes, a
worthless marketing tool in today's internet-driven world. "Read at the
freakin' LinkedIn profile, why doncha?")

Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)

<https://www.the-efa.org/memberinfo/chris-morton-10670/>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring