Re: Paradigms

Subject: Re: Paradigms
From: dmc7938 -at- UCS -dot- USL -dot- EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1993 15:50:37 -0600

Concerning paradigms, Jeanette Harris in her book _Expressionist
Discourse_ (1990) (I think that's the title.), presents a model of discourse
that could work well for technical writing. I can't really reproduce the
graphic here, but the model divides discourse into a cross shape. The top
vertical line is the writer's influence on the text Moving from an internal
textthrough a generative text to the final text. The bottom vertical line
moves
from the reader's interior text through a generative text to meet the final
text. The horizontal line designates types of discourse. To the left is
pragmatic discourse and it can be either experience-based or information based.
To the right is aesthetic discourse and it can
also be experience or information based. The type of discourse depends
upon the perceptions of either the writer or the reader.

Draw the diagram, and think about it.

deany m. cheramie
university of southwestern louisiana
deany -at- ucs -dot- usl -dot- edu