Reply to: Writing Across the Curriculum

Subject: Reply to: Writing Across the Curriculum
From: Chet_Cady -at- OCLC -dot- ORG
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 09:31:08 EDT

CEO document conShort message
From: Chet Cady:CEO
Date: ## 03/23/93 09:31 ##
From what this discussion sounds like, a book that deals with this
very subject is WRITING TO LEARN by William Knowlton Zinsser. It's
about a pilot program at (I think) Gustavus Adolphus College in St.
Peter, MN. The idea was to develop students who could write
engagingly about their specific disciplines (or any discipline), even
when those disciplines were technical.

It's not about tech writing per se, but tech writers can learn from
it, or at least find encouragement that someone out there is making
sense about what we're trying to do. Educators especially may be
interested in how Adolphus taught their students to write across the
curriculum.

Some of us know Zinsser from his standard text on writing, ON WRITING
WELL.

Chet Cady
cady -at- oclc -dot- org

From: VS088 -at- VTVM1 -dot- BITNET:smtp
Date: ## 03/20/93 07:10 ##
I have just joined this list. I have some questions about teaching engineering
communications (writing, graphics, oral communications). Is it better for som
eone based in an English department (as I am) to teach/teamteach technical writ
ing in another department as a part of an existing course or to help out by a c
onsulting role (offering workshops, helping faculty in other disciplines incorp
orate writing into their own courses)? My university has a new core curriculum
requirement which is very exciting: _all_ students must take two writing inte
nsive courses beyond freshman English. I am in a pilot project right now, team
teaching in materials science and engineering with two engineers. It's one mod