STC on the INTERNET (was STC's Electronic Bulletin Board)

Subject: STC on the INTERNET (was STC's Electronic Bulletin Board)
From: aba -at- OC -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 06:44:41 -0800

>TO: Binion Amerson et other fellow STC-ers:

>FROM: Jack Ferstel, Senior Member STC, U. of SW Louisiana

> Why don't we push for an Internet connection for the STC office?

> There are many universities in the DC area that offer special rates to
>non-profit organizations who wish to use their e-mail facilities.

To All Fellow STC Members with E-Mail Addresses:

Yes, I agree. The STC office should have an E-Mail address. I have
suggested to the Board of Directors that STC set up something similar to
that in use by the IEEE. The STC office thinks that the electronic
bulletin board service is the answer. I believe that both are needed.

I have been trying for at least two years to get the STC office to obtain
an E-Mail address on the Internet. To date, I have only been successful in
getting a listing in STC's Administrative Directory of E-Mail addresses of
those STC officers, committee managers, and chapter presidents with E-Mail
addresses. The current edition lists 27 such addresses.

The Board of Directors know that I have been using E-Mail over various
NEWSNET and BITNET newsgroups to successfully promote the 40th STC Annual
Conference. They also know that various members such as myself use E-Mail
to conduct STC business. For example, I am able to exchange Conference
information with two past Conference General Managers (New York and
Atlanta) and next year's General Manager (Minneapolis), as well as the AP
for Conferences, the AP for Recognition Programs, and several committee
managers.

But, I have been on a one-man crusade. And, I NEED YOUR HELP!

Telephone, write, and E-Mail your thoughts on this subject to STC's
President JoAnn Hackos, your STC Director Sponsor, the other elected STC
officers, the Assistants to the President, the Committee Managers, and your
Chapter officers. Write or telephone the Executive Director at the
Society office. Don't just repeat this message. Tell each of them why YOU
think STC should have an E-Mail address.

Here are E-Mail addresses of some STC officers, APs, and committeee managers:

Binion Amerson aba -at- oc -dot- com
David Armbruster DARMBRUS -at- UTMEM2 -dot- bitnet
Saul Carliner CUISACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- GSU -dot- EDU
Peggy Cathcart cathcart -at- nosc -dot- mil
Beth Gallob beth -at- aggregate -dot- com
Jeff Hibbard HIBBARD -at- dalvm1 -dot- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Bill Hosier HOSIER -at- BNR -dot- CA
Larry Kunz ldkunz -at- ralvm13 -dot- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Fred O'Hara FFO -at- STC10 -dot- CTD -dot- ORNL -dot- GOV
Ken Rainey krainey -at- sct -dot- edu
Lynn Rollins lynn_rollins -at- mcimail -dot- com
Sherri Smith Sherri=Smith%Desktop%PCMkt=Hou -at- bangate -dot- compaq -dot- com
Chris Velotta chris -dot- velotta -at- daytonOH -dot- ncr -dot- com
Tom Warren ENGLGHB -at- OSUCC -dot- BITNET

If enough STC members push for such an address, I think the STC office will
see the need. At the moment, we do not know how many of the 16,000 STC
members actually have access. Perhaps a survey also is in order! If the
Society office knew how many members had access, that would add to the
importance of the office getting an address.

Regards,

Binion Amerson, aba -at- oc -dot- com
General Manager, 40th STC Annual Conference

Binion Amerson, Senior Technical Writer, OpenConnect Systems, 2711 LBJ, Ste
800, Dallas, TX 75234, Ph 214/888-0447; Fax 214/484-6100; Email aba -at- oc -dot- com
General Manager, 40th STC Annual Conference, June 6-9, 1993, Dallas, Texas.