Re: trademarks

Subject: Re: trademarks
From: Joseph T Chew <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 12:08:07 PST

I avoid them in scholarly writing and editing unless (as sometimes
happens) the author says her employer requires them and will raise
a stink if they don't appear.

Journalists usually avoid them, too, partly to avoid giving free
plugs and partly, I suspect, to "give the bird" to a corporation.

In corporate writing, such as manuals and brochures, I used to
cite the appropriate trademark symbol upon the first reference
and omit it thereafter. Somewhere in the front matter -- it's a
good use for a flyleaf or an inside front cover -- I'd list the
trademarks and their owners. For example:

Tinwhistle and the Tinwhistle logo [the logo, on the cover,
would also count as a first ref] are registered trademarks,
and Tinmodem V9600B is a trademark, of Tinwhistle Computer
Products, Inc.

Banana Jr. and the Banana logo are registered trademarks of
Bloom County Micro, Inc.

This scheme had been designed or at least blessed by the lawyers,
which the company was exceptionally fond of and employed in abundance.

--Joe