Re: Enough is enough

Subject: Re: Enough is enough
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 09:20:59 PDT

> ... I thought I might learn more about
> what is out there in the technical writing field, but unfortunately
> am only seeing a very negative aspect of WHO is out there. ...

> Joan Miles
> Technical Writer

Joan-

Please don't give up on this list or other similar kinds of communication
because some individuals characterize or trash users or other groups of
human beings. Even when you think the comments are uncalled-for, you may
find provocative ideas in the messages and replies. Always, when I come
across some expression like this that I object to, I try to find any of
those attitudes in myself that my (relatively) reserved manner may not let
me express as openly as the writer or speaker. (It is, of course, these
indirectly expressed, and sometimes denied, attitudes that cause us many
problems and reduce our effectiveness.) If you just don't want to deal with
such messages, delete them. Maybe your mail software allows you to filter out
messages with a certain pattern in the Subject or From field. In any case,
if you want to see this list deal with other issues, raise them. Ask
questions, describe you experiences, state your opinions.

-Fred Jacobson
Product Center Writer
Boole & Babbage
fred -at- boole -dot- com