Re: Welcome and how to leave

Subject: Re: Welcome and how to leave
From: "Laurel Lynam, SPIE" <LAUREL -at- MOM -dot- SPIE -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 12:31:47 -0700

RE: Dan Brinegar

Said something about user's blaming him when their e-mail goes off into
the never, never.....

Putting the blame back on the never, never is almost the only option other
than having them double check their address and triple check that they
entered it correctly....

When we get bounced mail the system manager always says "If it's from
Mailer Daemon, it's not our fault -- that's a UNIX system" (We have a

VAX). Asking other system manager's nets you very little also.....one
said "No one knows how they work, so don't ask." Try using that to
write documentation or do user support!

But my best explanation to user's and one they seem to understand is that
Internet e-mail is somewhat like the stage International telephone calls
were at the turn of the [last] century....if it works it's great, if it
doesn't try again later.....somewhere between you and them, something
broke, got disconnect, was routed wrong...etc., etc. They have learned
to keep this philosophy in mind and it has helped because they patiently
keep trying and occassionally get rewarded for it (YES!).

Maybe that will help you along....

< Laurel Lynam -- SPIE -- The International Society >
< Computer Support for Optical Engineering >
< laurel -at- mom -dot- spie -dot- org Bellingham, WA >
< Not only to say the right thing in the right >
< place, but far more difficult still; to leave >
< unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. >
< - George Sala >