Waring blenders

Subject: Waring blenders
From: Randy Allen Harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 09:13:29 -0400

I'm sure there are other outliers in the -ware list to the
Adjective-Mass (aka Collective) Noun pattern, but the only
one I can think of is "housewares" which seems to wear a
steady plural, but still can't be a full-fledged count noun
("six housewares" sounds pretty odd to me).

My guess as to how the "one software" usage developed would be
that it came from the adjectival use, rather than the mass noun
use, the way we get "I had a lifesaver roll with six reds!"
But it's just a guess.