Re: Punctuation problem

Subject: Re: Punctuation problem
From: Peter Montgomery <MONTGOMERY -at- CAMINS -dot- CAMOSUN -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1993 21:42:35 -0700

> Date: Sun, 09 May 1993 16:45:39 -0400 Thus spake Eleanor Rizzo
<decrsc!ejr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>

ER>doesn't necessarily make sense from a logical (mathematical) point of view.
ER>However, its meaning is commonly understood. I believe this practice has
ER>remained part of the tradition because it was understood and there was no
ER>need to change it in the name of improved communication.

Seems to me the MLA changed its practise to the more logical one back
in 1984, which means there are lots of grounds for putting the
punctuation outside the quote marks, if people want to change their
practise.

Peter
* Peter Montgomery Montgomery -at- camosun -dot- bc -dot- ca *
* Exitus effigium effigies exituum *