Re: Red-lining software

Subject: Re: Red-lining software
From: DJH <dhancock -at- ARINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 10:38:05 EST

Philip and others interested: My group has been using DocuComp II for
redlining for the last couple of years. I've been VERY happy with
it--it's much more intelligent than the usual "diff" utilities or the
redline feature in some wordprocessors. As an example, moving a
paragraph of text to a position 2,000 lines away in the file shows as a
MOVE and not a deletion and insertion. Additions, deletions, and moves
each have different user-selectable appearances.

When you compare documents, you get a composite (merged) document with
strikethrough, shading, and the like. You can also get a listing of the
differences printed separately. And finally, you get a summary (how
many insertions, deletions, moves, document sizes, etc.).

We use this not only on documents, but on source code as well.

The vendor for DocuComp II is:

Advanced Software, Inc.
1095 E. Duane Avenue, Suite 103
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 733-0745

I recall spending about $130 for this utility. I've got no connection
with Advanced Software, Inc. except as a satisfied customer.

Best of luck to you!

David Hancock
dhancock -at- arinc -dot- com
Aeronautical Radio, Inc.