Re: News from Dallas?

Subject: Re: News from Dallas?
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 14:02:32 CDT

Faith,

I'm sorry you couldn't be here in Dallas for the
STC Conference.

Most of the seminars I attended, and all of the
workshops, were very informative and sparked a number of
slightly boat-rocking ideas. Since we at NEC America, Inc.
are interested in help systems and electronic documentation,
I concentrated on seminars and workshops on these topics.

I found I frequently got as many good ideas from
other attendees as from the presenter(s).

In the seminars and out, at meals, at receptions and
parties, the opportunities for networking were nearly endless.
I was able to compare notes with other technical communicators
from both staff and management perspectives. Not only could
many people I met help me with snags in my current project,
but I found I could help others as well. Isolated at work,
it's easy to forget that there are many other technical
communicators who are just starting out. Some in the
profession, others with a product I've used for years.

The newsletter that has received so much mention was
called _The_Lasso_. Benchmark Publications Group, Inc.
composed _The_Lasso_ daily. Overnight Press of Dallas printed
the newsletter. Each issue was a very professional five-color
printing on both sides of a single sheet of heavy paper
donated by Clampitt Paper of Fort Worth, Texas.

Each issue of _The_Lasso_ contained supplementary
instructions and information about the conference, the luncheon
menu of the day, local attractions and color in a column
entitled _Texas_Tidbits_, and Humor and more local color in
a column entitled _Big_Bands,_Pizza,_&_Naked_Poets_.

I found the opening and closing sessions very
inspirational. Dewitt Jones (Photographer, National
Geographic Magazine) told us how to get "...juice in our
camera." Someone (Mr. Jones own organization, I guess)
video taped his opening session. You might look for the
tape to be available via business video sources later
this year.

Dennis Mannering gave the clossing session oration.
He told us about the mistaken impression that "...knowledge
is power..." and how we could shrink our individual "...do
gap..." Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone taping Mr. Mannering's
session. However, look for a video or audio tape of his
that talks about "Do Gap". Mr. Mannering pattented the
idea or copyrighted it, whatever. So he's probably got a
tape out about it.

Get a copy of the proceedings and write the
presenters whose topics interest you. They're pretty
good about mailing copies of their handouts.

Hope to see you in Milwaukee next year!

BEST REGARDS!

Chuck Banks
Senior Technical Writer
Public Switching Group
NEC America, Inc.
Irving, Texas
chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com