Re: News from Dallas?

Subject: Re: News from Dallas?
From: Matt Abe <MATTA -at- COUNTY -dot- LMT -dot- MN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 19:11:47 CST

Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM> writes:

> Hi everyone,

> I didn't go to Dallas, but I would love to hear about the highlights
> from people who did. I suspect other stay-at-homes may be
> interested, too (especially after seeing cryptic remarks about
> the "colorful local humor" in the Dallas newsletter, etc.!).

> Of course there's nothing like being there -- I'm just curious
> about what people particularly liked this year.

Matt's abridged highlights for the Dallas conference:

1. The Loews Anatole Hotel: superb meeting facilities. They were
the best ever, and I think the past few years have been great.

2. The presentation by the writers from Kodak Rochester (NY) called
"The Soul of a New Standard." They used humorous skits to tell the
story of creating corporate standards out of many standards
created independently by various divisions. HILARIOUS SATIRE...Great
job, you guys, if you're out there somewhere. They promised to return
next year at Minneapolis and I hope they were serious. (Anyone else
see these folks on Wednesday morning?)

3. The overall high quality of the presentations (or was I just
lucky?).

4. President's Reception Sunday night. They used a Mexican fiesta
theme complete with pinatas, mariachis, fajitas, and Mexican folk
dancers. They also showed an old Mexican banditos movie on a large
projection screen, but I think they missed the boat on the obvious
crowd pleaser: "Dallas" reruns.

5. My favorite piece of Texas trivia (from the daily newsletter): Pace
Picante Sauce, made in San Antonio, is exported to Mexico.

6. My favorite local TV commercial: a tortilla product whose slogan
is "The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread."

OK, back to work...

Regards,

Matt Abe