Re: Dress Code

Subject: Re: Dress Code
From: Matt Abe <MATTA -at- COUNTY -dot- LMT -dot- MN -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 07:58:10 CST

September Radecki <sradecki -at- THETIS -dot- SHERPA -dot- COM> writes:

> Believe it or not, this is reality. I worked for three years as a
> vendor at the San Jose IBM site. I worked with engineers on a daily
> basis, documenting various products. If I showed up to work
> dressed in a suit, they reacted as if I were a manager or
> something. I could *not* get information. Basically, we came to
> the conclusion that they were intimidated when we dressed more
> nicely than they did.

As technical writers, we should understand this completely.
This phenomenon is well-documented in John Malloy's "Dress for
Success," the premise of which is basically the technical writer's
creed: "Tailor your message to the audience."

See you at the pool,

Matt Abe

[41st Annual Conference of the Society for Technical Communication]
[Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 15-18, 1994]

Matthew Abe
Manager, Engineering Services
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road