general query on technical writing

Subject: general query on technical writing
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 19:22:55 EDT

-------- Forwarded Message --------

FROM: Lori Lathrop, 76620,456
TO: David Rabson, INTERNET:rabson -at- MSC -dot- CORNELL -dot- EDU
DATE: 23-Jun-93 at 16:56:58

SUBJECT: general query on technical writing

David -- You didn't say much about your friend's experience or
qualifications, so we don't have much to go on. The best advice I can
give is to join STC (the Society for Technical Communications). Or, even
if your friend can't afford the $90 membership fee, it doesn't cost
anything to get on the mailing list for the local STC chapter meetings.
BTW, most chapters suspend meetings during the summer months.

The other piece of advice is to emphasize the ability to communicate
effectively with SMEs (subject matter experts) and secure their
cooperation. Oral communication skills are as important as written
communication skills. Also, emphasize creativity and analytical skills;
they're also just as important (and maybe *more* important) than writing
skills.

Cheers ...

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services
76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com