Re: SGML

Subject: Re: SGML
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 07:47:44 CDT

Pam,

We are still studying SGML, looking for an elegant tool
that will give us SGML without all the internals. From what I've
read and seen of the SGML tools used by many of those who post to
the USENET newsgroup comp.text.sgml, I'm not impressed. To use
those tools I have to spend too much time on technical specifics.

The technology gets in the way of the writing. Most
SGMLers I've met and read from are all wound up in the complexity
of it all. Give me a WYSIWYG tool with a GUI interface and I'm
happy. I want the portability SGML perports to provide, but I'm
not willing to sacrifice ease of use to get it.

FrameViewer isn't all I've ever dreamed of in function and
ease of use, but it beats the daylights out of HyTime and its ilk.

I don't want to know about the internals of my DTP package's
filing system or data storage format. I just want to get on with
the job of crafting the best documents I can within the constraints
imposed.

|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411