Re: resume question

Subject: Re: resume question
From: Pam Tatge <pamt -at- STEINBECK -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 09:27:50 CDT

Let me give you the perspective of someone who has had a lot of
resumes land on her desk over the past few years. When I am looking
for someone to fill a contract position, I want someone who can get
up to speed quickly. A listing of tools, software, languages, and
operating systems IS important to me. If everything else is equal,
when I see Interleaf, C, and Unix (which are important to us), then
I will definitely bring the person in for an interview.

That doesn't mean that I will automatically write off someone who
doesn't list those three keywords. In my experience, someone who
has worked with several different authoring tools, for example, is
usually able to learn how to use a new tool fairly quickly. So, for
my purposes, I at LEAST like to see that they've worked with SOME
authoring tools and have had SOME experience with high-level languages.

I don't think an exhaustive list is necessary; I would be satisfied
with a statement along the lines of "I am familiar with a variety
of authoring tools, such as WordPerfect, PageMaker..." etc

What I REALLY HATE is when someone claims to be an expert user of
some tool when they have barely used it. If someone is honest and
says they're vaguely familiar with a tool, I might give them a
chance; if they lie to me, then that's a good clue that this isn't
someone that I want to work with.

Pam Tatge (pamt -at- steinbeck -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com)
Member, Group Technical Staff
Texas Instruments Semiconductor Group--Houston