Re[2]: STC's Electronic Bulletin Board

Subject: Re[2]: STC's Electronic Bulletin Board
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 14:41:23 CDT

Someone (I unfortunately deleted the message) commented
that an STC bulletin board would compete with this
list. I am not in the least concerned about
competition, and I doubt anyone else should be.

This list was created out of frustratation at the lack
of an Internet-based forum for technical communicators,
and has proved remarkably useful and interesting. If
STC provides another useful, accessible, helpful
service, I will be among the first to subscribe.
However, if an STC bulletin board or whatever on the
Internet is restricted to STC members and STC members
alone, I think this forum will still have a great deal
of usefulness.

The only axe I have to grind is that I believe that
technical communicators should, if at all possible,
have access to other technical communicators and
related information via the Internet. I wish STC would
provide such a service, but if they continue to hold
out--well, that is why this list came into being.

Just a couple of thoughts. (BTW, STC has already heard
quite a lot of encouragement from me about getting on
the Internet.)

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu