Re: STC'S Electronic Bulletin Board

Subject: Re: STC'S Electronic Bulletin Board
From: Cristopher Battle <cbattle -at- UAFHP -dot- UARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 21:41:33 -0500

There seems to be some confusion as to the cost of connecting to the
Internet. Can anyone else shed some light on the subject?

> Greg writes:

> > Cost is a very BIG factor. For the STC to have a full Internet connection
> > would cost $1000 per month. The other option is that they find
> > a local service provider, such as the World operates here in Boston,
> > and get an account. Nevertheless, STC members want FTP and possibly
> > Telnet access.
> >
> This is not necessarily true. There are several service providers
> that provide FTP access to directories maintained by the subscriber,
> in addition to the normal email and USENET news services. At the very
> least, this would allow the STC to participate in this mailing list
> directly. This service level is available for as little as $25/month.
> Some of these service providers can also provide TELNET access....

It seems to me that if STC has over 14,000 members, then an increase of
just $1 a year would pay for the Internet access. I can't imagine
anyone complaining about one more dollar, in exchange for Internet's
benefits. Or, if those of us who use the BBS would donate the cost of just
one of our long distance calls, I think we'd have enough. I'm sending a
letter to the STC office, and I hope all of you do the same.

Lisa Heggestad Battle