Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 10 Jul 1993 to 12 Jul 1993

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 10 Jul 1993 to 12 Jul 1993
From: "Focus on 3 things: Quality, Quality, Quality" <raven -at- USABLE -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 08:52:22 EDT

About Frame vs. interleaf:
My group did an evaluation of the two tools (pus VAX Document,
the tool we're currently using). However, I do not have results to
share for a vriety of reasons. First, and most important, the method
we used to make the choice (Vector Comparative Analysis, a patented
Decision-making process from Digital Equipment Corp), requires that
our group assign level of importance to each feature. Then we "scored"
each vendor for how well Frame implemeted feature a, how well Interleaf
implement feature a, how good customer support was for each vendor,
how important cost was, and so on. Thus, The results of which tool is
"better" depend entirely on OUR SITUATION.
Our use of this method reflects my belief that no piece of
software can be inherently "better" than another; the goodness of a
product depends on what you need to do with it.
For example, the cost of the tool was not very important to
us, thus, one of the primary arguments against Interleaf (its cost),
was not a deciding factor. We did chose Interleaf. It seemed to fit
our needs; we already have a number of no-cost licenses because we
re-sell Interleaf as part of a systems integration package. Moreover,
it makes sense to use the products we sell.
I saw demos of both and spent a great deal of time talking not
only with salespeople, but users (and a number of people from this list
helped out! Thankyou!).
If you would like more information on Vector Comparative
Analysis, see "Vector Comparative Analysis: The Spreadsheet as
Visualization Platform." by Michael D. Millikin in Business
Visualization, vol 1 no. 5. Techtronic Publishing Co. Inc. 1991. pp.
1-10 ISSN 1056-7852.

Mary Beth Raven
Digital Equipment Corporation
Rave -at- usable -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com