Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.

Subject: Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.
From: Ferstel John W <jwf3885 -at- USL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 15:19:57 -0500

Chuck Bank's suggestions may work very well for some industry personnel,
but for those of us in academe, writing trip reports and conducting
in-house seminars will not enhance anyone's travel budget that I have
ever heard of in a university English or communication department. Yes,
I know I should be creative and "sell" the value of the STC Conference,
but academe does not work that way--most faculty receive a travel re-
imbursement based on such things as number of conferences attended
during the year as well as activities (papers read and professional
offices held). Few faculty in my department receive more than $500-$700 for the
entire academic year's travel budget--if that much.....

Jack Ferstel
English Dept.
U. of SW La.
Senior STC Member

P.S. Chuck: Would you support an academic rate of,say, $200 for Con-
ference registration?