Re: Left-handed keyboard/mouse configurations

Subject: Re: Left-handed keyboard/mouse configurations
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1993 16:22:25 CDT

> Here's a question for the southpaws in the group.

> In Sun Open Windows, how do you get a left-handed* keyboard and
> mouse configuration? I could do it in SunView (which is one of
> several reasons why I still use FrameMaker under SunView), but
> not OW.

> Whenever I ask systems-type people, they say, "Sure, there've gotta
> be ways." They just don't know what they are.

Well Ken, to pick some major nits here, it's not an OW question at all. It's
an X11 question, and as such if you could do it in SunView you can do it in
OW. SunView probably just gave you a slightly easier mechanism to do it with,
such as a dialog box somewhere on a control panel or something. All it was
was a widget for an X11 command...

For ANY X window server, the xmodmap command should do the trick. The default
description of the 3 button "pointer" device is 1 2 3 so to reverse it in
SunView, Open Windows, Motif Window Manager, etc. the command is:

% xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

Or you could go in and hack the key definitions themselves.... Nah! you don't
wanna do that. Put that xmodmap in your .cshrc or .login file and you should
be good to go.

* _ ___ * Steve Fouts
* ( |____| * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* / / \ _| \ \ * "Starlight shone in the eyes of the Deathbird and its"
* ( * ) \/_|__* ) * passage through the night cast a shadow on the moon."
* \_/ _/ \_/ * -Harlan Ellison