Re: degree programs

Subject: Re: degree programs
From: Clarke Whitehead <WHITEHED -at- ADMIN1 -dot- WEBER -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 13:09:57 MST

As a brief introduction (since I've just been lurking so far). I am
an independent software developer and often have to write my own
technical manuals (however, I may soon contract some work out). I
subscribed to this list to get tips on technical writing.

As many of you, I was bothered by Paul Trummel's initial message.
While not being familiar with the institution, I couldn't believe
someone would make such slanderous comments accusing them of
everything from fraud to substance abuse. But I have to admit, I got
quite a chuckle out of this last message (many parts deleted):

> From: Paul Trummel <trummel -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>

[...]

> Technical communicators need to expand rhetoric to encompass the
> requirements of a modern technological society. They need to
> explore how they can widen the scope of rhetorical theory and to
> suggest ways by which they can construct visible and

[...blah,blah,blah...]

> Heretofore, rhetoricians have restricted themselves to forms of
> classical oral and verbal rhetoric that do not take into
> consideration visible language. Consequently, kinetography
> (verbal/visible rhetoric) performs an important role in technical

[...yawn!...]

> For further information on this topic, TECHWR-L readers may wish
> to subscribe to my regularly published Internet column CONTRA
> CABAL. This column consists of satire, based in fact, that
> exposes malpractice extant in technical communication programs.
[...snicker :)...]

Perhaps if I start suffering from insomnia. It's sure to be a great
way to put me to sleep.

Seriously now! Is this a joke, or is this person actually claiming to
be a technical writer. I thought the idea was to try and explain
complex subjects in terms that are easily understandable, not to see
how much you can baffle the reader with BS. I get a kick out of just
thinking how a user manual for one of my programs (which I strive to
make user-friendly) might look if it had been written by Paul.

Clarke Whitehead