Re: Recommended Applications

Subject: Re: Recommended Applications
From: "Kelly K. Hoffman" <hoffman -at- LOGICRAFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 10:22:22 -0500

Maria Townsley <uupsi5!MSD.MEASUREX.COM!maria> writes:

>Does anyone use PageMaker? I keep seeing all these recommendations for
>Frame, but I think PageMaker wins hands down.

When I started my current job a few years ago, all of the documentation was
in PageMaker on a Macintosh. I converted everything to FrameMaker (still
on the Mac) a year or two ago. Maintaining everything in PM had become a
nightmare.

I still use PageMaker for short items, though, and for things where page
layout is more important that doc structure (wrapping text around graphics,
for example).

>It does everything Frame can do, and does it better.

Sorry, that's not true. PM doesn't do conditional text, user-defined
variables, automatic cross referencing, automatic figure & table numbering,
auto paragraph numbering, character styles, or tables (the table editor
that comes with PM is not exactly robust).

I do prefer PM's indexing features, though, and its typographical controls
are significantly better than Frame's, as is its color-handling features.

>Long documents? I regularly customize a User Guide of several hundred pages
>in just a few weeks. (Believe me, I don't get more than a few weeks.)

Now, imagine doing several long documents with lots of similarities, but
lots of differences, too. In PageMaker, you get to maintain separate files
for each version. With Frame, you can roll everything into one set of files
and use conditional text and variables to mark the differences.

Do you use cross references in your docs? Things like, "See page 25 for
related information." In PM, these have to be resolved by hand.

>I know that it can support Windows help, but our product is multi-platform so
>I need to create help that can exist on every platform (VMS, UNIX, and AIX
>right now).

Do you have a single set of docs for all of these platforms, or do you
produce separate doc sets for each? If you maintain a single set of docs,
do you do so because it's easier for the user or easier for you?

>For this one reason, I am currently thinking of switching to Frame.

If you decide to take the plunge, let me know. I've done the same
conversion and would be willing to offer specific advice (worth what you
pay for it :-).

-- Kelly
Kelly K. Hoffman Logicraft "Reading the manual
Technical Writer 22 Cotton Road is admitting
hoffman -at- logicraft -dot- com Nashua, NH 03063 defeat."