Briefings, request for formats, etc.

Subject: Briefings, request for formats, etc.
From: ROSE NORMAN <UAHRXN01 -at- UAHVAX1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 10:49:00 CST

Another request to aid a graduate student, this one researching
briefings. The student's company, a Defense contractor, regularly
does what are called "briefings" throughout the industry, but it
seems there is no standard for how they should look, or even what
they are. My student is deducing a definition from the briefings
she has collected from the company and from other companies who
do them. Loosely, a briefing is an oral presentation with some
kind of visuals (slides or vu-graphs) plus a handout, which is
usually just a paper copy of the visuals. The clien company for
this project would like to standardize their briefings and are
conducting a series of tests of various formats on different audiences.
My student will attend those tests and interview the audience about
the visuals and handouts; this is her primary research. For secondary
research she is seeking any published literature on the genre of
briefings.

If your company has a standard format for briefings that could be
shared, we would appreciate your sending us hard copy, fax, or
email about it, too. We hope to publish our findings in *Tech. Com.*
or some other professional journal.
In exchange for sample briefings or formats, we will send you a copy
of the student's report.

Rose

Rose Norman
Associate Professor of English and
Director of Business and Technical Writing
English Department
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL 35899

Phone: 205/895-6320 Fax: 205/895-6949
Internet: UAHRXN01 -at- ASNUAH -dot- ASN -dot- NET Bitnet: RNORMAN -at- UAHVAX1
"Conventionality is not morality." Charlotte Bronte