Re: Evaluating user interface

Subject: Re: Evaluating user interface
From: Linda Wolf <tscom010 -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 21:38:41 -0500

>Does anyone have any tips on methods for evaluating a user interface?
>I am sure there are standard procedures for this, but I'm not sure
>where to look to find them written down. It's been over five years
>since I took a course on CAI, which included evaluation as an element,
>and I'd like know if there is an authoritative source on what to look
>for and how to go through the evaluation process generally.

>Rose
>uahrxn01 -at- asnuah -dot- asn -dot- net -dot- internet
>rnorman -at- uahvax1 -dot- bitnet

Rose,

I am a Drexel University student in Technical and Science Communication. I
recently attended the 1993 International Professional Communication
Conference (IPCC) held 10/5-8 in Philadelphia. One of the sessions was
called User interface design. I list below several topics and authors from
the presentations in that session:

User-interface design considerations for CD-ROM by Teresa T. Lau, Sun
Microsystems Computer Corporation.

Electronic automation as an alternative to learning computer tasks by
Robert Kruss, Daniel Dionne, and Elizabeth Weise, Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute.

Costs and benefits of interactions as a factor in users' choices of access
methods to online documentation by T.T. Corey and R.B. Nonnecke, J.M.
Mitterer, Dov Lungu of IBM Canada Laboratory.

This last presentation focused on research done into how people made
choices about interfacing with a system designed by IBM. They made some
very interesting and not altogether expected conclusions, but the paper
didn't go into how IBM will change their interface design to make it more
accessible to more people.

I'm sorry I don't have the cities in which these companies are located. I
hope the information might be enough to start with.

Linda Wolf (tscom010 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu)