graphics packages for X windows

Subject: graphics packages for X windows
From: Steven Owens <uso01 -at- MAILHOST -dot- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 13:00:40 -0500

> I'm sending this message on behalf of one of the programmers/
> developers I work with. He is looking for a "professional
> drawing or graphics package that runs on X windows." If
> possible, this package should be compatible with DecWrite.

> Dan (the programmer) is not happy with the graphics capability
> in DecWrite. He is wanting an easier way to do flow charts,
> etc.

For graphics on X, you might look at CorelDraw or Island Draw. I've
never used them, only heard of them, but they seem to be among the few
commercial X-based drawing applications.

For flow-charting, etc, there are probably more applications out
there, but the only I've heard a lot about is a Windows package called
Visio. Now, admittedly, this doesn't do you much good when you're on
X, but there's also something called WABI (Windows Application Binary
Interface or somesuch) which you can put on a Sun machine and run
windows applications with.

There's also a package called KMS, which may have stuff for doing this
kind of thing, but it's more of a general groupware package.

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com