Re: Greetings

Subject: Re: Greetings
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 15:14:00 EST

<see Michael's message for his text>

Michael

Thing one is to get in touch with your local STC chapter. I know this sounds
like a hobby horse from me, but it really is important. I wouldn't have my
current job or skill level if it were not for my STC chapter.

Thing two is to present yourself at interviews as "coming from the user's
perspective." Most software companies already have experts on the -software-
inhouse (at least, one hopes). What they need is someone who doesn't
necessarily understand it, but can learn and explain it. Yes, most places that
advertise want 3-5 years experience, but often a little start-up (where you're
probably going to get your best baptism by fire anyway) company would rather
have someone less experienced (i.e., "cheap" -- or so they think...<evil
laugh>).

Good luck, and welcome!

Bonni Graham
President SDSTC