Re: Company Style Sheets

Subject: Re: Company Style Sheets
From: Lee Taylor <leetay -at- CSN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 20:52:11 -0600

I'd make a distinction between style *guidelines* (relative to word usage,
terminology, tuncuation rules, etc.) and style *guides* relative to the
physical/mechanical/logical act of publishing. Particularly with the
power available in DTP these days, any shop with simultaneous pubs and
more than, say, six writers, that *does not* enforce format standards is,
IMHO, in deep weeds. I agree that maintaining an impeccable (sp?) style
guide is a real black hole of resources - but articulating format
standards isn't all that tough, and is fairly specific and stable (well,
okay, specific at least). Keeping, say, a FrameMaker templplate in an
annotated version (so that the para tags describe themselves in the
template document) is simply an exercise in avoiding frustration and
unnecessary rework.

Lee Taylor
Telluride Wordcraft