Work Environment

Subject: Work Environment
From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 14:51:31 EDT

Hi All,

Since the dress code things came up, it got me to thinking, not surprisingly,
of how the work environment effects and channels performance and general
employee happiness. Although we discussed this somewhat the last time on
the Merry-Go-Opinion, I don't remember beating it quite to death.

(I'm sorry. It's Friday and I'm stuck in Sarcasm.)

Really. I would like to hear some anecdotes, opinions and theories about
how the workPLACE bears on the work.

Here where I ply my contract, the company has put this department in a
building right around 100 years old (very solid, no central ventilation, steam
heat, dust, iffy fire protection, spotty windows, and spot A/C). I have been
sick more in the past year here than in pretty much my whole life.

However, they're renovating a portion of the building to put us in. All new
carpeting, paint and decor. Unfortunately, they seem stuck on the vaunted
Cube and central air is still missing. Lately one of the managers mandated
that there shouldn't be anything hanging on the cubicle walls, INSIDE or out.
He's largely being ignored, but for how long?

(Wow, the sympathy plug rides again!)

Anyone else have similar/better experiences?

-John Sanders-
(GE)