Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing

Subject: Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing
From: "Debbie N." <debbien -at- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 17:48:34 GMT

To everyone:

Thanks for all your responses and e-mail messages. I finally came up with
a solution to my problem (with your help). This is the procedure I use to
take a formatted MS Word document on the Macintosh and send it out in a
reasonable format with QuickMail.

1. Open your formatted document
2. Select the "Save As" command
3. Change the "Save File As Type" to "Text with Layout"
4. Close the original file window
5. Open the file you saved in step 3
6. When the "Select a converter" dialog box displays, choose "Text"
7. Change the font to a non-proportional font (i.e., courier) and make
any changes as necessary--note that the line length of this
file is 6 inches; also, footers are included at the top of the file
and should be deleted
8. Select the entire file and then select the "Copy" command to copy
the text to the clipboard
9. Paste the contents of the clipboard into an e-mail message. Note that
if you are using QuickMail, you should use a message form that uses a
non-proportional font so that everything lines up correctly

You do not have to put the converted Word file into a non-proportional font
because the font is specified by the QuickMail form. However, it makes it
easier to spot alignment problems and allows you to print the file with the
correct alignment if you do put it in a non-proportional font.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to help!

debbien -at- llnl -dot- gov