Re: PhD's/Work Weeks

Subject: Re: PhD's/Work Weeks
From: Michael Gos <GOS -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 11:38:38 -0600

Stuart,

Yes, but research and writing is play! It's what many of us would do free if
we weren't getting paid for it!

This discussion seems to have taken on a life of it's own on my off day. My
original intent was to respond to a posting saying that the Ph.D. didn't add
much and may even detract from your marketability in Tech comm. My point was
that there are certain career choices in the field where it is necessary and
that one in particular, academia, was a valid choice in spite of the reduced
annual income.

Yes, I do research and yes I write, both for academic publication and as a
fiction writer. But I would do those things if I worked in industry too,
because I do them for fun (just as others would go fishing). Now, instead
of having that work relegated to nights and weekends, I have three days
during the week to do it. To me, that's worth the pay cut.

Michael