TQM Revisited

Subject: TQM Revisited
From: Bob Armao <bob -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 14:51:20 EST

I was going to stay out of this TQM thread, but I heard
an intersting segment on the radio a few days ago -- a
business-oriented blurb on National Public Radio.

The analyst proposed that successful companies are characterized
by a balance of 3 factors:

1. TQM

2. cost control

3. getting new products to the market quickly

He suggested that emphasizing any one of these elements to the
exclusion of the others is a formula for failure. As an example
of successful enterprise, he cited how Lexus has balanced these
factors to steadily increase market share at the expense of
Mercedes Benz and BMW.

Personally this seems to be a more sensible approach than total
dedication to a single "solution" for success. Now how to analyze
and achieve the optimal balance is probably not so simple.