Tech writing vs market writing

Subject: Tech writing vs market writing
From: Bjbj <Brian_Dooley -at- EQUINOX -dot- GEN -dot- NZ>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 13:19:30 +1300

I believe that a certain marketing awareness is critical to good manual
writing. The manual should provide some post purchase support to the buyer,
for example, making him or her feel comfortable with the purchase. Also, the
manual is used to evaluate products for purchase, and the user is in a
receptive frame of mind for purchasing accessories, additions, and such
like. I've seen more and more marketing style writing in manuals as manuals
grow more sophisticated. Remember, too, that one component of good marketing
writing style is clear, crisp communications with an upbeat trend. This I
see as a most welcome addition. (I'm a general and tech writer, doing books
on
diverse subjects for the mass market, software and hardware manuals,
magazine articles, pr, newsletters and what have you.)
Cheers, BJD

--
***** BRIAN J. DOOLEY ***** 1/45 Aylesford St., Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND
email: Brian_Dooley -at- equinox -dot- gen -dot- nz CompuServe: 75146,3212